Tuesday, September 21, 2010

145 weeks... World tour map

World Tour Self-discovery...

Food-by bike is in motion. But I have a lot on my mind with the World Tour. I know that I am driven to food by bike across the world. Though, what will be its format? What route will define this World Tour?

Maybe a lot of other websites, but these have been a good start:
Cycling Around the World
World Biking

Should it be one continuous trip? That is, non-stop around the world. Or some other preferred route that best suits the food by bike objective.

Research shows that the conventional format for a World Tour is to cycle between two travel points. That is, cycle from Point A to point B for the adventure, in which the distance between the two points usually crosses the objective.

So I start experimenting with some of my own pre-conceived notions about distances I'd like to cross. Keeping with this conventional format I map more like a segmented route across the world. I know that food by bike should be more about the food, and not so much the adventure between the two points. Then after, I think maybe I need more of a hop segmented route. That is, I hop across the world. A hop would have more of a food-by bike radius to explore that regions food. I'd also have to limit hops mainly because of flight costs. Cycling between points does have that cost saving advantage (it is, after all, a self-propeled mode of transportation).

Region 1: North America
[World Tour 3 months, 5,235 miles traveled]

Regional food is not my expertise. But I've come up with a starting point, or at least some assumptions for this segmented route.

Segment 1: Portland, ME to Miami, FL (about 1 month travel)
Based on Google Maps with bicycling directions that is 1,806 miles. My present goal is to do about 55 miles a day. That's about 33 days travel between the two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Portland, ME, Boston, MA, Providence, RI, New York, NY, Washington, DC, Savannah, GA, and Miami, FL. [After forming a basic map, my second task is to determine what food to explore by bike in these cities.]



Segment 2: (I'd take hop to) New Orleans, LA to Seattle, WA (about 2 months travel)
Based on Google Maps with bicycling directions that is 3,429 miles. That's about 62 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for New Orleans, LA, Austin, TX, San Diego, CA, San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]


In 1987 I spent most the summer in Ketchikan, AK. [It was probably my first real adventure. My folks drove me to Winnipeg, Canada where I took a train to Prince rupert, B.C. I then took a ferry to Ketchikan.] Spectacular views. I'd see these cruise ships enter port, and sense what more there would be to see. I said someday I will take that cruise up. Funny how that works out.


I'd plan to take a hop cruise from Seattle, WA to Anchorage, AK to see those intended sights (about 1 week cruise travel). Maybe some are saying why not bike up? Right now I am thinking that I got a lot more food by biking to do, and this might seem more like an adventure cycle between two points.

For the next regions of the world, I came up with more of this hop concept. I also referred to other world bicycling routes for inspiration.

Region 2: Japan
[World Tour 4 months, 6,700 miles traveled]


In 1992 I spent 3 years in Japan. Loved it! I biked a little, but always wanted to do it right. This will be more than a dream come true. I'd say that Japan is my foodie home.

Segment 3: (I'd take hop to) Sapporo, Japan to Nagasaki, Japan (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions but based on other mode of transportation is 1,465 miles. That's about 27 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Sapporo, Japan, Tokyo, Japan, Kyoto, Japan, Hiroshima, Japan, and Nagasaki, Japan. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 3: China
[World Tour 5 months, 8,524 miles traveled]



I know that I'd want to food by bike China, but wasn't sure how to map it. Some inspiration would help. Found it: Crazy Guy On A Bike
After reading through Peter Gostelow's journal I'd map it.

Segment 4: (I'd take hop to) Beijing, China to Hong Kong (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,824 miles. That's about 33 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Beijing, China, Shanghai, China, and Hong Kong. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 4: Australia
[World Tour 6 months, 10,141 miles traveled]


Segment 5: (I'd take hop to) Brisbane, Australia to Adelaide, Australia (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,617 miles. That's about 29 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Brisbane, Australia, Sydney, Australia, Canberra, Australia, Melbourne, Australia, and Adelaide, Australia. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 5: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand
[World Tour 9 months, 14,614 miles traveled]


I am not sure about these segmented routes yet. So all this is still very preliminary.

Segment 6: [I'd take hop to] Dagupan, Philippines to Legazpi, Phillippines (about 1 week travel)
Google maps doesn't have directions, but found this website Philippines Distance Calculator. It is 379 miles. That's about 7 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 7: [I'd take hop to] Kota Knabalu, Malaysia to Kuching, Malaysia (about 2 weeks travel)
Google maps doesn't have directions, but found this website Map Crow. It is 500 miles. That's about 9 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 8: [I'd take hop to] Denpasar, Indonesia to Medan, Indonesia (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 2,032 miles. That's about 37 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 9: [I'd take hop to] Singapore to Alor Setar, Malaysia (about 3 weeks travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,026 miles. That's about 19 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 10: Hat Yai Songkhla, Thailand to Chiang Mai, Thailand (about 3 weeks travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,036 miles. That's about 19 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 6: India
[World Tour 10 months, 16,408 miles traveled]


Segment 11: [I'd take hop to] Chennai, India to New Delhi, India (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,794 miles. That's about 33 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Chennai, India, Goa, India, Mumbai, India, Agra, India, and New Delhi, India. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]


Region 7: Africa
[World Tour 11 months, 17,736 miles traveled]



Segment 12: [I'd take hop to] Cairo, Egypt to Tunis, Tunisia (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have directions, but found this website Map Crow. It is 1,328 miles. That's about 24 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 8: Europe
[World Tour 13 months, 21,291 miles traveled]




Segment 13: [I'd take hop to] Athens, Greece (about 1 week travel)
Maybe a little R&R for my last leg of World Tour. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]


Segment 14: [I'd take hop to] Catania, Italy to Copenhagen, Denmark (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 2,091 miles. That's about 38 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Catania, Italy, Rome, Italy, Munich, Germany, Frankfurt, Germany, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Hamburg, Germany, and Copenhagen, Denmark. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 15: [I'd take hop to] London, England and Dublin, Ireland (about 1 week travel)
[I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Segment 16: [I'd take hop to] Paris, France to Lisboa, Portugal (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,464 miles. That's about 26 days travel between those two points. I'd try to focus food-by bike for Paris, France, Nimes, France, Barcelona, Spain, Madrid, Spain, and Lisboa, Portugal. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]

Region 9: South America
[World Tour 16 months, 23,710 miles traveled]


Segment 17: [I'd take hop to] Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Natal, Brazil (about 1 month travel)
Google maps doesn't have bicycling directions, but based on other mode of transportation is 1,545 miles. That's about 28 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]


Segment 18: [I'd take hop to] Caracas, Venezuela to Panama City, Panama (about 2 weeks travel)
Google maps doesn't have directions, but found this website Distance is 874 miles. That's about 16 days travel between those two points. [I'll better determine what food to explore (or which places to add) once I start that phase of research.]


No comments:

Post a Comment