Wednesday, October 27, 2010

140 weeks... travel

World Tour Self-discovery... to bike is to feel the land.

[Providence, RI to Willimantic, CT 55.8 mi
Willimantic, CT to New Haven, CT 58.4 mi
New Haven, CT to Stamford, CT 45.9 mi
Stamford, CT to New York, NY 46.6 mi]... 206.7 miles

So far I'd imagine a sort of excitement for the unknown. Not really knowing what to expect while on the bike tour. Sure I am researching it now. I want to have at least a route mapped, places to sleep, and of course my list of food-by bike savory restaurants. But that adventure of the unknown; doing something not routine. Something you know nothing about, but you have to lead yourself forward. I am not even sure I can find the right words to articulate this inner self-discovery. Though, I'd say traveling to a new place might best describe it.

Traveling to a new place. To feel the land will be about the discovery of new senses. That is a dimension most often captured with a picture. But might it be more about the perception of new thoughts. Maybe even the inception of something new about oneself.

Lately, I have been intrigued by the concept of one's Identity. Besides my curiosity with the food experience, I guess you could say that I dabble with philosophy. I'd say that I am not the most well read individual. Trial by error is more my nature (... learn it the hard way). I don't know, I just like to experience it for myself. I guess you could say to think about it. So I'd imagine that while on the bike tour I will have lots of time to think about it.

One's Identity. What about our experiences? I might think about that... or like the question of shared experiences. This movie BrainStorm is my favorite for that. But what I love about life is feeling my own experiences. Maybe it's a common sense thought, or something taken for granted. I guess it sort of hit home when I started researching World Tours. I didn't want to read about someone else doing it. I wanted to experience it for myself. Then try to explain to someone that you want to bike around the world. It's not an experience they care about so they don't understand. I got sort of curious with that discovery. Sure it might be nice that family or friends be interested in a shared experience, but my intended experience is my Identity.

Oh well, there will be time for more thoughts like that when actually on the World Tour. After 4 days, 206.7 miles more, I'd be pedaling into New York City to seek out some food-by bike savory restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment