Sunday, October 17, 2010

141 weeks... Rhode Island

World Tour Self-discovery... to eat is to taste the land.

1. Fore Street [Portland, ME]
2. J's Oyster [Portland, ME]
3. Union Oyster House [Boston, MA]
4. Clambake [Boston, MA]
5. Cook & Brown Public House [Providence, RI]
6. The White Horse Tavern [Newport, RI]

Providence, Rhode Island

The World Tour hits Providence, Rhode Island, a not so famous birthplace for this food-by bike destination. I'd say food curiosity doesn't ignore the smallest detail, nor the smallest State in the Union. Of course, fresh seafood is a given from the Ocean State, but could there be more. So I continue my curiosity for food.


For those keeping track the World Tour is now about 4 days in, with a distance of 177.1 miles traveled. It's like the tip of the iceberg. Actually, this research doesn't even begin what self-discoveries I shall discover or will need to know while on the bike tour. I'd say starting is half the battle. And getting to that start will take time (along with a lot of planning). I'd probably sense that if I made it this far, as short as it has been, it's then about pushing forward. That be the same as like not giving up on this blog, but to continue (and learn "how to" food-by bike). Its started, so then I ask myself again that subjective question, "what food is the state of Rhode Island known for?" [And can it be discovered in Providence?]

So I thought that I'd first ask a local, my brother. Yep, I have roots in Rhode Island. I am actually partial to clam cakes. Not so much as an acquired taste, but a food that brings me back to a fuzzy Ocean State food experience. I'd also say Fish & chips does that for me. I can almost see myself sitting at that restaurant eating my first plate of Fish & chips with my grandmother.

This got me thinking about other past food experiences. Not sure how this fits into the World Tour, but sure is some self-discovery. So I decide to create a map of every place that I can recall that I've eaten at.


View restaurant relativity in a larger map

Well, this is a fun start. I will slowly update this map when I, "oh yeah, I forgot about that place..."

Okay, so I ask my brother, who I know is also into food. Well, it was a good answer ("Federal Hill... for fancy restaurants"), but my curiosity is what cuisine is Rhode Island known for. So I find this post to be a good start [Johnny cakes, Coffee milk, Doughboys, Fish & chips, Clam cakes, Chowder, Clam bake, Quahaugs, Steamers, Del's lemonade, Spinach pie, "Three all the way", and Grinders]. So that is maybe what Rhode islanders eat. So I push on trying to search engine up the goods on Rhode Island cuisine. I find that the key word visit... gets me on track with "One's sense of adventure... is discovered one meal at a time" Visit Rhode Island.

But all that reading still leaves me foodie empty. Then I guess Wikipedia might indeed be the holy grail, "Several foods and dishes are unique to Rhode Island and some are hard to find outside of the state." Hey, that is almost the same list I saw before that tried to answer "what do people around here eat?".

I'd say having a foodie list is one thing, now how about that food-by bike savory restaurant that's going to short order cook a bona fide Rhode Island food experience. Where to begin? How about tastes of Rhode Island for a one stop food-by bike extravaganza, although, I'd like a better way to beat the crowds (plus, might it be much like our own "festival that started out promoting Minnesota food ended up morphing into one of generic pronto pups and cotton candy").

This cookbook read gave me food picturesque Rhode Island - big recipes from the smallest state. I will definitely buy this one. Hint... my birthday is coming up! So let's eat good.

It's almost like picking a needle out of a haystack, so which savory restaurant. Then I stumble upon Cook & Brown Public House. Something about it, okay, call it my foodie superpowers, tells me this is the one (plus it was listed on Esquire's best new restaurants 2010). So it makes my list for the food-by bike World Tour. Then how about a 1673 tavern billing for "America's oldest running tavern". You guessed right, The White Horse Tavern is in.

I'd say Rhode Island was a good place for some self-discovery. Though, before I leave it would be great to share a food experience at old Rocky Hill Rd. Like cook up Lobster Ravioli with some fresh locally, and sustainable foods bought at Providence Farmers Market on the Hill.

World Tour Mileage...

[Portland, ME to Portsmouth, ME 59.7 miles
Portsmouth, ME to Boston, MA 68.5 miles
Boston, MA to Providence, RI 48.9 miles
Providence, RI to Willimantic, CT 55.8 miles
Willimantic, CT to New Haven, CT 58.4 miles
New Haven, CT to Stamford, CT 45.9 miles
Stamford, CT to New York, NY 46.6 miles]

No comments:

Post a Comment