Wednesday, October 6, 2010

143 weeks... Sea salt eatery

Bike savory destination...

To bike is to feel the land. How about feel 50.1 miles? I finally do the complete Grand Rounds scenic byway. It was a great ride. So many places for self-discovery. Lake of the Isles is picturesque with its mansion homes. It's sort of a past neighborhood living with both our girl's attending Grace Neighborhood nursery school. That's how we got to meet the friendly neighborhood with play dates at Triangle park. I'd like to checkout the old park, but decide after thinking about the miles ahead of me that I won't be able to reminisce every scene. Instead, I plan for a short break at Kenwood Cafe. Mainly to buy some water, but also to maybe get a chance to say hello to the owners. [We met at Grace when our kids attended nursery school]. Congratulations to a second great location. Isles Bun & Coffee, I believe is their first location, making the best puppy dog tails!

As I head north onto the Theodore Wirth parkway my senses are still reminiscent (like for the Quaking bog, and Eloise Butler wildflower garden). I'd say it's a parkway that shared some of our first scenic drives. It was a scenic drive for transitions. In 1995, I got out of the Marine Corps, and began our living transition in Minneapolis. My step-brother, who lived in Robinsdale, took us in until we found an apartment. I was going to be a student at the University of Minnesota. I don't recall, but somehow we discovered the parkway. Great find, because it lead us to the City of Lakes.

I continue farther north onto the Victory Memorial parkway. Then straight across the Webber parkway onto the St. Anthony parkway. It's here I met my match. Maybe the steepest hill so far. I am definitely not in shape for it. I also blame it on my poorly geared bike [thinking there must be a better bike with lower gears to make the climb more effortlessly]. It's then I start thinking about the Optibike.

I discovered the Optibike while researching about other World Tours. This site is about an Electric bike World Tour. Of course, I then thought, "Hey, the Optibike should have its own promotional world tour". So I emailed the company to research more about their bike. Unfortunately, their engineers/marketing team didn't seem so friendly with the idea. They did email back saying to check out their website. Hey, I already did that. I was sort of sold on the idea, but will need more technical data if I am going to use their bike for my Food-by Bike World Tour.

"Thanks for response...

I have visited your website. I believe I've seen all the videos but haven't seen any example for around the world travel. I did note that Jim Turner did a world cycling trip in 1990, thus, he would understand the parameters and load on a bike for such a trip (1 to 1.5 year trip traveling the world). I note that your touring battery would give 100+ miles. How long would it take to recharge? This would be ideal for USA cross-country, but think in remote places in the world would need a solar rig.

The bike that I found in the article is a wisper, UK based company. The rider claims on his blog/website to be the first person to do an around the world trip on an electric bike. He doesn't seem to be solely promoting the wisper, but all electric bikes in general. He seems to have some type of solar rig to recharge the battery. I'v been doing research on an around the world trip, and thru my research found articles about electric bikes. 

I thought this might be good PR for your company, if not me. I was curious first if your engineers would think such a trip would be possible on the Optibike. I think it would since that other guy is using the Wisper. But wanted to confirm. Then if I decide to use the Optibike for my trip, I'd need to know how best to recharge the batteries, such as in a solar rig. Could your engineers provide that data if needed? Then also replacement parts. If I am gone for 1.5 years, parts might break. I'd need a good communication link to get new parts. I'd need such a list, and costs, and understand shipping logistics."

That was my reply, so will see how that turns out.

Okay, back to the steep hill. I walk it up. Then continue on thru the Stinson parkway. I start to see familiar sights, and say to myself wow I made it [of course, I am only about halfway, but in my mind I could now grasp the whole Grand Rounds. I also feel a little more connected to our beautiful City of Lakes].

I've been on the road for a few hours, and my stomach starts to tell me it's time to eat (it's that time of day, plus been working hard). But I know that I want to buildup the anticipation for the Sea Salt Eatery. A fast food place with a line of cars catches my eye. As for my food-by bike disposition, "I laugh at the thought of eating a quick fix." Can you imagine riding 20+ miles for that. Sure when hungry we need sustenance. But I am convinced that my toil has given me a craving for more of an organic food experience not a commercialized one. I am inclined to say that it's more than just pedaling across the landscape. More than just the effort. It has been the time to appreciate the landscape.

To eat is to taste the land. Okay, the Sea Salt Eatery is probably not a Maine influenced restaurant. I had heard about this food destination, plus it was right on the Grand Rounds. The Sea Salt claims to be "serving extremely fresh seafood..." that I believe is what Maine would be known for. Fresh seafood. I'll be frank to say that I just rode 30+ miles, so my food intent is extremely high. So lets eat good.

























  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike
  • food-by bike



Foodie-by bike review...

At last, I arrive at Sea Salt Eatery. I'd say the location is perfect for gatherings (keep in mind outdoor park style). Its got a bustling sort of vibe with a diverse clientele. Friendly, and family welcoming. I can hear cyclists chatting about maybe the best routes home, or at least they seem to be comparing notes. I see scattered groups overlooking the Minnehaha Falls, and a mixed group of diners. I am eager to join them, with a big appetite.

Unfortunately, this ride also had some technical self-discovery. First, some might notice the improved picture quality compared to the last. I decided to upgrade my smartphone for the new iphone 4. I was motivated by lots of factors. The first being, I was tired of my old phone crashing, and also the slow operating system response. This is all subjective, but I am very impressed with the iphone 4 (that means I am very happy with it, and think it's the best smartphone on the market). I had also compared its camera quality, and wanted to be able to take good pictures. My old phone's camera had such a slow response time that it just wasn't good for those kodak moments. I could go on, but this is not a gadget blog. Thus, I am happy with the pictures.

SprintGPS map... phone died.
The bad news is that I didn't know that the SprintGPS app [I thought it would be cool to post its GPS map, but seems more work than its worth so won't do that again] would drain the phone so fast. So my phone died, and thus, no food pictures. This got me thinking about a backup camera, which might be a good alternative for higher quality food pictures. But also, what about power issues when doing the World Tour?

A food experience intent is all about menu selection. It seems simple, but I'll admit that I've failed numerous times. I see one customer holding a printed menu from their website, and orders from it. He's done his homework. I scan over their special's board to see if I can find their signature dish. It's like I'm hoping that it will pop out at me, and say, "Here it is. Our signature dish. This is what you biked here for." Nothing magical happens. So this confirms that I don't have any foodie supernatural powers in menu selection. One item, though, does catch my foodie curiosity. "Steamed whole IP swich..."

Actually, I don't know what that is so I ready my order questions. First, I want to ask them what they are known for. So I ask. Their response is not so welcoming. I don't feel like it's saying, "please ask more questions, so you can select your food intent". Their response sort of various, but I recall with a distinct Po'boys... which now I learn is a traditional submarine sandwich (with seafood) from Louisiana. Okay, next time I will have done my homework. It won't be so spontaneous. I will have it all calculated out to a foodie detail. The reason is this.

I then ask about the "IP swich" special on their blackboard. It's not well described, but do hear the words clam sandwich. Sounds good! So I order it. [I am now doing research on Ipswich clams, and go figure I might have foodie menu selection powers. Ipswich clams are "... soft-shell clams currently sold as 'Ipswich' clams — even in Ipswich — in fact come from Maine..."]

After ordering, I go out to find a relaxing seat. Sure I have been in the saddle for about 6 hours, but a chair is so welcomed. The wait isn't too long. I actually meet some friends, a fellow cyclist with his family. So we chat. Then the food comes.

"Well, I did it again?!"
Visually, I am shocked. What is this? I am so confused I don't bother to ask the food runner. The food presentation definitely took me by surprise. I say to myself, well, I did it again a bad menu selection. I don't even know what it is. It looks like a whole deep-fried fish. My friend's wife says it's a crappie. Since I don't have the ability to take pictures my mood is less foodie, and more small talk with my friends company. Plus, I am out of sorts about my selection. So I eat, and talk.

After I still feel hungry, and decide to give them a second chance. Because this is not a wow food experience. I have failed to find the wow in this restaurant. So I go back to their order line. I check out the special board again, and decided to try their "ahi tuna steak burger". I also recalled them saying it was good. But then I noticed a "sold out" note on their "whole crappie" special. Aha! She had taken my order wrong, and gave me the whole crappie dish. But that's not what I had ordered. I wanted the "Ip-swich". So I politely complain about that (she seemed not to remember me, which is maybe understandable), and order the ahi tuna steak burger.

I'd say that I had some issues with service execution... With that, of course their menu offers more, and we all have different likes. So I'd recommend this bike savory restaurant when you food by bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment